Useful Tips to Prevent A Migraine Headache...And Possible Treatment Options
Statistics indicate that 1 in 10 people suffer from migraines in North America. That gives us an idea of how common the affliction is. Typically, migraines are pulsating headaches that occur on one side of the head. They are recurrent and can be extremely disabling. Many people experience migraines several times in a month which leaves them feeling both frustrated and helpless.
Most migraines are a result of lifestyle choices. Alterations to one's daily routine can make a world of difference in reducing the triggers that cause migraines
Can I Prevent Migraine?
There are many things you can do to avoid frequent episodes of migraine. Here are some:
- Avoiding the 3 Cs: Chocolate, cheese and caffeine are known to trigger headaches. Eliminating these foods or even reducing them considerably can help to treat migraines. If you are prone to migraines you must also stay away from aged and preserved foods. This includes leftover food that has been in the fridge for over a day. Sometimes sour foods like certain fruits and lemon can trigger headaches. Keep a dairy and note down foods that seem to be bringing on the headache.
- Avoid alcohol: A key reason for migraine is dehydration. Alcohol dehydrates the body leading to a headache, commonly referred to as a 'hangover'.
- Keep away from bright lights and loud noises: Recurrent noise and bright lights are known to cause headaches. Once you see a headache coming, make sure you move away from places which are noisy or are too brightly lit.
- Watch the weather: Humidity and heat can bring on headaches. Avoid stepping out in the sun during peak summer hours as they are certain to trigger a headache.
- Migraine herbs and medicines: Certain vitamins taken along with herbs have been known to considerably reduce instances of migraine.
Women tend to suffer from migraines more than men, one of the reasons being that most of these headaches are related to the menstrual cycle. Understanding the cause of the trigger can reduce and even eliminate migraines altogether.
The Miami Headache Institute has expertise in dealing with all kinds of headaches. With our advanced diagnostics, expert team of doctors and top notch service, we have established ourselves as one of the premium clinics in the field. You can be assured of the best counseling and treatments that will enable you to get rid of your migraine headaches for good.
Call us at 305.440.5969 or use our contact form to book a consultation.